Oona Muirhead CBE will join the Board of the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) as a Non-Executive Director with specific responsibility for Security matters. Her appointment will begin on 1 October 2014.
Oona began her career in the Ministry of Defence where she held a number of senior level posts across policy, operational, change leadership and communications roles before successfully making the transition from central government to a senior-level influencing role at the Local Government Association. In 2007 Oona joined the South East England Development Agency where she was appointed Chief Executive in 2011. Since 2012 she has built up a wide portfolio of non-executive responsibilities across the public and private sectors in defence and security, economic development and energy.
Energy and Climate Change Minister, Baroness Verma, said:
“The ONR plays a vital role in regulating safety and security at the UK’s nuclear sites and Oona brings a wealth of experience to the new Non-Executive Director role.”
Nick Baldwin, Chair of the ONR, said:
“I am delighted to welcome Oona to the ONR Board. Nuclear regulation will benefit hugely from Oona’s wide experience and expertise, and my Board colleagues and I look forward to working closely with her”.
Notes to editors
- The ONR Board comprises Non-Executive and Executive Directors. The Energy Act 2013 requires one member of the board to be competent in national security matters.
- The appointment was made in full compliance with rules laid down for public appointments by the Office for the Commissioner of Public Appointments.
- The appointment is from 1 October 2014 to 30 September 2017.
- The Office for Nuclear Regulation’s (ONR) mission is to provide efficient and effective regulation of the nuclear industry, holding it to account on behalf of the public.
- ONR became an independent public corporation on 1 April 2014 under the Energy Act 2013. It independently regulates nuclear safety and security at civil nuclear sites, and defence propulsion and weapons systems.
- More information about ONR can be found on its website www.onr.org.uk where you can sign up to our e-bulletin. Follow on Twitter @ONRpressoffice.
- For any media enquiries contact: 0151 951 4482/5742. Email: email@example.com