The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) is providing jobs to get young people at risk of long-term unemployment into work and help them reach their full potential.
The UK’s independent nuclear regulator joined the £2bn Kickstart government scheme at the end of last year which aims to provide young people, aged between 16 and 24 and who are on Universal Credit, with vital work opportunities.
There are currently five people working for ONR as part of this initiative and they will remain with the organisation for six months, until the summer.
More than 100,000 young people in the UK have taken part in the Department for Work and Pensions-run programme which began in September 2020 and ends this year.
Targeting younger people who are out of work and without a clear career path, the government pays 75% of their salaries, and ONR pays the remaining 25% – with other funding provided by the government for training and development.
The young people currently on the programme with ONR are Ellie Chatterley, Michael Holgate, George Testagrossa, Jake Rowley and Matty Owens.
They are working in different divisions including HR, IT, the Programme Management Office and Divisional Delivery Support.
George Testagrossa, 24, from Maghull, Merseyside, said: “It’s the best job I’ve ever had, it’s a really good fit for me.
“This post with ONR really interests me as it’s great to see all the different parts of the organisations working individually, but then watching how they all come together in a collaborative way, too.”
Michael Holgate, 23, from Walton, Merseyside, said: “This really allows me to see the inner workings of a big organisation like ONR which is something you don’t see every day.
“Kickstart and ONR have given me an opportunity that I wouldn’t normally have had.”
Ellie Chatterley, 18, said: “This is my first proper job and I’m really enjoying it, it’s very different and makes me realise I can do these sorts of things.
“I always enjoy coming to work every day with ONR and it has improved my confidence and made me feel better about myself.”
Sue Connor, ONR’s HR Business Manager, said: “We give these young people the chance to identify their skills, give them support with interviews, writing CVs, applying for jobs and supplying an overall understanding of what it’s like to work in an organisation like ONR.
“The people who have joined us have been brilliant, their attitude has been great.
“They’ve got really good skills and have hit the ground running in all the areas of the business they’ve been working in.
“I’m sure their ONR Kickstart experience will certainly help them secure permanent employment in the future.
The youngest ONR recruit through Kickstart is 18 and the oldest is 23.
ONR is the UK’s independent nuclear regulator for safety, security and safeguards, regulating nuclear safety, nuclear security and conventional health and safety at 36 licensed nuclear sites in Great Britain, and the regulation of the design and construction of new nuclear facilities.
We also regulate the safety and security of the transport of civil nuclear and radioactive materials by road, rail and inland waterways.