- Site: Heysham 1
- IR number: 22-017
- Date: April 2022
- LC numbers: 18
Purpose of Intervention
This report presents the findings of an inspection of EDF Energy Nuclear Generation Ltd.’s radiological protection arrangements at Heysham 1 Nuclear Power Station during the 2022 statutory outage of reactor 2. The purpose of the inspection was to provide regulatory confidence in relation to the licensee’s arrangements for compliance with License Condition 18 (LC18) Radiological Protection (RP), and the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17).
This was a planned inspection, in line with the Operating Reactors plan for 2022/23.
Interventions Carried Out by ONR
The intervention focussed on the following during the discussion and plant inspection:
- Summary of outage programmed work and its radiological implications.
- Review of outage radiological performance.
- Adequacy of RP staffing arrangements.
- Application of revised NGL risk assessment arrangements including examples if available.
- LC18 compliance
- Information Instruction and Training for staff in relation to radiation protection particularly during the outage.
- Arrangements for Local Rules and RPSs (including RPS training)
- Monitoring of Designated Areas.
- Source management including progress with removal of redundant sources.
I assessed compliance with the requirements of IRR17 and LC18 relevant to the above areas. The inspection was undertaken in accordance with ONR’s IRR17 Technical Inspection Guide, NS-INSP-GD-054.
Explanation of Judgement if Safety System Not Judged to be Adequate
Not applicable – this was not a system-based inspection.
Key Findings, Inspector’s Opinions and Reasons for Judgements Made
The inspection did not reveal any significant nuclear safety concerns that require action by the licensee or further follow-up by ONR.
The inspection and discussions with the Head of RP for Heysham 1 and other representatives of the licensee provided adequate assurance that there is effective RP practice in place and an adequate level of compliance with the requirements of IRR17 and LC18.
Conclusion of Intervention
Based on my sampling of the licensee’s arrangements for compliance with IRR17 and LC18, I am satisfied that the arrangements the licensee has in place are adequate. A rating of Green was therefore assigned for this inspection.