Date(s) of inspection:
Aim of inspection
The purpose of the inspection was to review Hazmat Logistics Limited’s arrangements associated with the road transport of radioactive material. ONR carried out this inspection at Hazmat Logistics Limited (Site) on 20/09/2022.
Subject(s) of inspection
The chosen inspection sample included:
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Appropriate management system
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Contingency plans in accordance with IRR Reg 13
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Risk Assessment Reg 8 of IRR 17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Training
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Transport documentation
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Vehicle Requirements Part 8
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor subsection 1.8.3 ADR
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Designation of Controlled or supervised areas Reg 17 IRR17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Emergency arrangements
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Local rules Reg 18 IRR17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Protection Adviser Reg 14 IRR17
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgements made
The inspector sampled the arrangements deployed by Hazmat Logistics Ltd for the safe transport of radioactive materials, including the associated arrangements for protecting workers against the effects of ionising radiations and reducing risks as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP).
The inspector compared relevant statutory requirements with both prescribed arrangements and actual practice. The inspector identified a number of examples of the dutyholder meeting relevant good practice in reducing risk to levels that are ALARP, including registration and consent, radiation risk assessment, emergency plans transport documents and vehicle equipment. The inspector identified one non-compliance and discussed this during the inspection, which included management arrangements.
During the inspection, the inspector also suggested certain improvements to transport practices that would be prudent for Hazmat Logistics Ltd to consider.
Conclusion of intervention
The inspector gave Hazmat Logistics Limited until 01/11/2022 to provide ONR either with evidence that the findings have been resolved, or an appropriate resolution plan with timescales for completion.
ONR will monitor the identified non-compliances through its Issues Management arrangements.