Date(s) of inspection:
- January 2023
Aim of inspection
The purpose of the inspection was to review Northampton General Hospital’s arrangements associated with the road transport of radioactive material. ONR carried out this inspection at Northampton General Hospital (site) on 17/01/2023.
Subject(s) of inspection
The chosen inspection sample included:
- Transport (Non-nuclear)
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Appropriate management system
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Contingency plans in accordance with IRR Reg 13
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor subsection 1.8.3 ADR
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Training
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Emergency arrangements
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Transport documentation
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Vehicle Requirements Part 8
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Local rules Reg 18 IRR17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Protection Adviser Reg 14 IRR17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Risk Assessment Reg 8 of IRR 17
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgement made
The inspector sampled the arrangements deployed by NORTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL for the safe transport of radioactive materials, including the associated arrangements for protecting workers against the effects of ionising radiations and reducing risks as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP). The inspector compared relevant statutory requirements with both prescribed arrangements and actual practice.
The inspectors identified a number of examples of the dutyholder meeting relevant good practice in reducing risk to levels that are ALARP, including suitable IRR17 registration, notification & consent, appropriate local rules, RPA appointment letter and a comprehensive set of procedures and arrangements covering all aspects of transport. The inspector identified non-compliances relating to the radiation risk assessment, contingency plans, emergency arrangements, management system and training which were discussed during the inspection.
During the inspection, the inspector also suggested certain improvements to transport practices that would be prudent for Northampton General Hospital to consider.
The inspector gave Northampton General Hospital until 17 March 2023 to provide ONR either with evidence that the findings have been resolved, or an appropriate resolution plan with timescales for completion.
ONR will monitor the identified non-compliances through its Issues Management arrangements.