Date(s) of inspection:
- February 2023
Aim of inspection
The purpose of the inspection was to review Tonkin Materials Testing’s arrangements associated with the road transport of radioactive material. ONR carried out this inspection at Tonkin Materials Testing on 08/02/2023.
Subject(s) of inspection
The chosen inspection sample included:
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Training
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Protection Adviser Reg 14 IRR17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Risk Assessment Reg 8 of IRR 17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Appropriate management system
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor subsection 1.8.3 ADR
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Vehicle Requirements Part 8
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Contingency plans in accordance with IRR Reg 13
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Local rules Reg 18 IRR17
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Emergency arrangements
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Transport documentation
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgement made
The inspector sampled the arrangements deployed by Biocair International Limited for the safe transport of radioactive materials, including the associated arrangements for protecting workers against the effects of ionising radiations and reducing risks as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP). The inspector compared relevant statutory requirements with both prescribed arrangements and actual practice.
The inspector identified a number of examples of the dutyholder meeting relevant good practice in reducing risk to levels that are ALARP, including suitable IRR17 registration, notification & consent, appropriate local rules, RPA appointment letter and a comprehensive set of procedures and arrangements covering all aspects of transport. The inspector identified non-compliances relating to the radiation risk assessment, and emergency arrangements which were discussed during the inspection.
During the inspection, the inspector also suggested certain improvements to transport practices that would be prudent for Biocair International Limited to consider.
The inspector gave Biocair International Limited until 31 March to provide ONR either with evidence that the findings have been resolved, or an appropriate resolution plan with timescales for completion.
ONR will monitor the identified non-compliances through its Issues Management arrangements.