Date(s) of inspection:
Aim of inspection
The aim of this inspection was to assess the effectiveness of NNB Generation Company (HPC) Ltd’s (NNB GenCo) Nuclear Safety Committee (NSC) in fulfilling its advisory role as an integral part of NNB GenCo’s nuclear safety governance arrangements.
This inspection was undertaken as part of the Office for Nuclear Regulation’s (ONR) Hinkley Point C (HPC) inspection plan.
Subject(s) of inspection
- LC 13 – Nuclear safety committee – Rating: GREEN
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgement made
I found the following:
- the NSC is an integral part of the NNB GenCo’s nuclear safety governance arrangements;
- NSC membership is appropriate to the lifecycle phase of HPC;
- NNB GenCo has defined the schedule of matters that it intends to present to the NSC for consideration and advice;
- there is an adequate code of conduct for NSC meetings;
- the NSC process is formally documented as part of NNB GenCo’s management system;
- the NSC takes a holistic view of NNB GenCo’s activities that have the potential to influence nuclear safety;
- the interaction with the NNB GenCo Board is now secured through the NSC chair who is also a board member;
- NNB GenCo periodically reviews the effectiveness of the NSC;
- NSC discussions and deliberations promote open debate and constructive discussion while all NSC members have appropriate timely information for such discussions to take place; and
the Independent Nuclear Regulator function is valued by the NSC members.
Although I found the areas of interest adequate, I provided advice to NNB GenCo on how its NSC can be further improved, in areas such as systematic tracking of important NSC advice, more frequent evaluation of the NSC performance or seeking periodic feedback from the NNB GenCo Board on NSC quality of advice.
Overall, based upon the judgements described above, I have concluded that an inspection rating of GREEN is appropriate for Licence Condition 13 – Nuclear Safety Committee.