Date(s) of inspection:
Aim of inspection
The aim of this inspection was to gain confidence in NNB Generation Company (HPC) Ltd’s (NNB GenCo) management and organisation in preparation for active commissioning and future operations with respect to compliance with the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17) and Licence Condition (LC) 18. The inspection focused on the following areas of IRR17:
- Regulations 8 and 9 (risk assessment and restriction of exposure)
- Regulations 13, 14 and 15 (contingency plans, Radiation Protection Advisers (RPAs) and training)
- Regulations 17, 18, 19 and 20 (designation of areas)
- Regulations 21 and 22 (classified persons and dose assessment)
Subject(s) of inspection
- IRR17 – Rating: GREEN
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgement made
It was noted at the start of the inspection that the radiological protection arrangements for operations are still being developed.
Based on the evidence seen during the inspection the following key findings were identified:
- Overall progress on defining the required radiological protection documentation was considered adequate. We noted that some decision on role definitions need to be made at the earliest possible stage.
- The outline structure of the proposed radiological rules was adequate. Benchmarking against other licensees at this stage of the project was positive.
- The transition arrangements for moving from the construction phase radiological protection arrangements to the operational site arrangements are being given due consideration.
- The process for making as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP) decisions on restriction of exposure for operational radiological protection requires further development.
The inspection found that the preparation for future management and organisation in radiological protection was adequate given the stage of the project and it was judged an overall inspection rating of green was appropriate. However, it was noted that there is a significant amount of work required to develop and implement the necessary radiological protection arrangements ahead of operations.