Date(s) of inspection:
- March 2023
Aim of inspection
The purpose of this inspection was to determine the adequacy of NNB Generation Company (HPC) Ltd’s (NNB GenCo) management controls for authorising the shipment of safety related components to Hinkley Point C (HPC) from suppliers. In particular the following aspects of the management controls were sampled: arrangements detailed in the Manufacturing Hub Manual, particular the ‘shipment authorisation request’ and ‘milestones and prerequisites model’.
Subject(s) of inspection
- LC17 – Management systems – Rating: Green
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgement made
Based on the areas and evidence sampled the following key findings were identified:
- The arrangements for controlling the release of components to site detailed in the Manufacturing Manual are sufficiently robust.
- There was adherence to the Manufacturing Manual and the pre-requisite model espoused in the manual to control and co-ordinate the release of components to HPC.
- There was effective ownership of the processes for the control and co-ordinated releases of components to HPC with examples of on-going improvements initiated by both the process owner and Project Managers and their staff.
- The Project Managers and staff interviewed used, valued and respected the arrangements for the pre-requisite model and the Manufacturing Manual.
- EDF Direction Industrielle (DI), who NNB GenCo utilise to carry out surveillance on its behalf, had not carried out surveillance of some equipment as required by the ‘surveillance offer’, although this had been identified by NNB GenCo and a programme of retrospective work had been undertaken to justify the release of this equipment.
We concluded from the evidence sampled that NNB GenCo had established and implemented adequate management systems for the control of shipping components to HPC in compliance with the requirements of Licence Condition 17, ‘Management Systems’. An overall rating of green (no formal action) was therefore assigned to this inspection.
Regarding the observation concerning the DI surveillance, I have followed this up with NNB GenCo post inspection.