Date(s) of inspection:
- September 2023
Aim of inspection
The purpose of the inspection was to review compliance of Addenbrooke’s Hospital’s arrangements for class 7 radioactive material for road transport, covering consignor/ consignee duties.
Subject(s) of inspection
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Appropriate management system – Rating: Green
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Contingency plans in accordance with IRR Reg 13 – Rating: Green
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor subsection 1.8.3 ADR – Rating: Green
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Protection Adviser Reg 14 IRR17 – Rating: Green
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Radiation Risk Assessment Reg 8 of IRR 17 – Rating: Green
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Training – Rating: Green
- Transport (Non-nuclear) Transport documentation – Rating: Green
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgement made
The inspectors reviewed a range of topics and identified a number of examples of Addenbrooke’s Hospital meeting relevant good practice in reducing risk to levels that are As low as reasonable practicial (ALARP), including appropriate appointment of Safety Advisers and Radiation Protection Supervisors, the provision of appropriate Radiation Protection Supervisor training, an appropriate Safety Advisers annual report and a valid certificate of compliance for the transport package used.
The inspectors identified no areas of non-compliance but made some observations and discussed these during the inspection. These were associated with required improvements to the hospital’s transport radiation risk assessments, emergency arrangements and consignor’s certificate.
The inspection findings were presented to Addenbrooke’s Hospital at the close of the inspection.
The inspectors judged an overall inspection rating of ‘Green – no formal action’ was appropriate for this inspection.