Date(s) of inspection
- November 2023
Aim of inspection
The aim of this inspection is to confirm that DNB is implementing its arrangements in respect to seasonal, severe weather and marine impact preparations such that the station and its plant is appropriately preprepared for the winter period. This will be a rated LC28 intervention.
Subject(s) of inspection
- LC28 – Examination, inspection, maintenance and testing – Rating: Green
Key findings, inspector’s opinions and reasons for judgement made
In accordance with the Office for Nuclear Regulation’s (ONR’s) Dungeness B (DNB) intervention plan, ONR performs a series of planned compliance inspections of identified licence conditions (LCs) and other applicable legislation, to ensure that DNB is meeting its legal requirements.
The aim of this intervention was to perform a rated LC28 intervention examining whether DNB is appropriately preparing its plant and systems for entry into the winter period as part of its overall seasonal readiness arrangements.
LC28 “Licence Condition 28: Examination, inspection, maintenance and testing”.
During the inspection, I confirmed that:
- Dungeness B has carried out a systematic review of its readiness to enter the winter period.
- Dungeness B has appointed a seasonal readiness coordinator to manage and coordinate the deliver of seasonal readiness activities.
- Whilst overall Dungeness B has implemented adequate seasonal readiness activities further improvements are required to ensure that the full requirements of EDF’s seasonal readiness company specification are implemented such as using a quality plan to manage the delivery of readiness activities.
- There is currently no role training profile/training provided for seasonal readiness coordinators.
Overall I judge that an inspection rating of Green (no formal action) is appropriate for LC28 because DNB was able to demonstrate it had completed the intent of its seasonal readiness activities. However I observed that in a number of areas further improvement is required to ensure that the implementation of seasonal readiness activities are fully in accordance with EDF’s arrangements and I have raised a new regulatory action to capture these improvement areas.