Office for Nuclear Regulation

Make a complaint about ONR

ONR is committed to providing a high standard of service to everyone we deal with. For this reason, we welcome any comments about our service, including when we get things wrong. We want to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible. We will listen to complaints, treat them seriously, respond to them swiftly and learn from them so we can improve our service.

If you have any comments or feedback that does not constitute a complaint, we would still like to hear from you so we can improve our service and the way we do things. You can find contact details on the contact us section of our website.

We treat as a complaint any expression of dissatisfaction with our service which calls for a response. This includes:

  • the standard of service we provide
  • the behaviour of our staff
  • any action or lack of action by our staff affecting an individual or group
  • any unfair treatment of stakeholders by members of our staff

ONR will not review complaints that:

  • have already been fully investigated through this complaints procedure
  • anonymous complaints
  • complaints about access to information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 or the Data Protection Act 1988
  • complaints about the behaviour or actions of third parties or bodies we regulate

In addition to the above, ONR has in place a Decision review and appeals process which describes how an appeal against a regulatory decision can be made.

Please send your complaint to

If you are not satisfied with how ONR has handled your complaint

If you are not satisfied with how ONR has handled your complaint, you can contact your Member of Parliament (MP) and ask for your complaint to be referred to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO). The PHSO can carry out independent investigations into complaints that injustice has been caused by maladministration on the part of UK government departments and some public bodies, including ONR.

You can find out who your MP is and write to them at:

House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA